Wednesday, June 26, 2019

Germany Day 11: Rothenburg ob der Tauber is too awesome (almost)

We started out our day packing up and heading off for a new section of Germany. Along the way, we stopped first at the castle ruins called Weibertreu. These ruins were a bit similar to the Castle Steinsberg from the day before: on a tall hill, surrounded by vineyards. The vineyards extended around the castle and all around the countryside for miles and miles. It was very beautiful! There were also a bunch of beautiful flowers throughout the castle ruins.
Then we went to check out the castle Neuenstein. It was crazy weird: no one was going to this castle. They only give a tour if there are 4 people interested. This castle was beautiful and in the middle of a town, but no one else showed up, so the guide sadly told us that he couldn't give us a tour. That was so sad and confusing. Why are some of these castles overflowing with tourists, and ones like this one are ignored? Probably just tourism advertising....
Anywho, it was off to the medieval city of Rothenburg ob der Tauber. I had wanted to go to this town, but I did not realize until we got there just how incredible it is. I told Paul later when I was calmed down again that Rothenburg is to medieval historians what Disney Land is to kids.
Historically and architecturally, this city is amazingly beautiful! SO many old buildings with tons of character. Since the town is mainly surrounded by medieval walls, most people just walk in the town, which takes the stress out of much of what I hate about cities. Also, it was not that busy, and the town is quite large, so Paul and I could get lost down some quaint, crooked alleys without seeing people.
Much of the town is still surrounded by medieval walls that you can walk, so we walked the walls for a bit....hilariously (and yet painfully for poor Paul), the wall walk is a bit short, and Paul was shuffling and bent over like the hunchback of Notre Dame while we strolled the walk. When he couldn't stand it anymore (ha ha), we found some stairs and then meanadered around some more on the streets where he could stand up again.
There was a section for a park with beautiful gardens that we walked through, a beautiful town square, SO many beautiful buildings, cathedral/churches, and so much more. It was a bit overwhelming for me. Rothenburg ob der Tauber was, if anything, maybe too awesome. I started out going 'ooh' and 'ahh!' over the first 25% of the city, then I was getting sensory/happiness overload and it became more like 'cool!' and 'wow!' and then about halfway through our excursions, it was just sighs of delight, and then I was too tired to even look at the beautiful medieval structures anymore. I told Paul that instead of Paris, if he ever wanted to take me on a romantic getaway, he could just take me to Rothenburg again. There was so much more I wanted to see, but I was too overwhelmed by it all!
At some point, it started pouring rain, which emptied out the streets even more. We wandered a little bit more, until we got soaked and chilled, then it was pizza and time to find our next airbnb.
Paul Edit: I was also totally overwhelmed by the cuteness. I just kept gasping and almost fainting. One time I saw a doorknob from the 13th century and nearly passed out. The local plague doctor donned his bird mask and waved some smelling salts under my nose until I gained my composure. In reality, the coolest part of Rothenburg was the tower above the city (see the two above pics). there was a gate right below the tower where there was a perpetually awkward traffic jam.

Oh, one negative about Rothenburg: do NOT get the local delicacy called Schneeball pastries. Unless you like awkward-to-eat balls of super dry pastry that tastes like cardboard dipped in melts-in-your-hands chocolate. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment