Tuesday, October 19, 2010

tomboy fashion problems

UGH.
Sometimes, I hate that I am naturally a tomboy. I sometimes wish that I had been born like most average females, with the mentality that wearing dresses, ribbons, lace, and pink is fun and pretty.
Instead, I was born already being a fiery, stubborn lass that wants to be different. I want to be different in my mentality, my dreams and goals and also in how I dress. You see, I have always thought that female clothes and fashions were varied mixes of: immodest, uncomfortable, unimpressive, bland, and ordinary. Especially the first two, immodest and uncomfortable.

Women wear lots of clothes that are: thin fabrics, clingy fabrics, low-cut shirts, short short skirts/shorts, skin-tight, accessory-dependent, etc. It's so frustrating. I guess I am one of very very few females in this world that does not want to be uncomfortable. Think about all the times you have seen females pulling on their clothes because they are so uncomfortable.

Now think about guys. Sigh. Guys are so smart about fashion. Just jeans and a t-shirt. Nothing crazy. Just nice, loose clothing. They wear their shorts long and loose, so that they are comfortable. They wear loose shirts -even dress shirts don't usually cling to guy bodies- so that they are comfortable. They even wear comfortable swimming trunks. While it is true that guy fashion is starting to look more uncomfortable (aka feminized), guys can still just wear jeans and a t-shirt and it's still a popular and typical look.

Then there is me. I am a female that *gasp* wants to be COMFORTABLE in the clothes that I wear! I am unique in that way, I guess. I have, since I can remember, preferred guy clothes to female ones for the very reason of modesty and comfortableness. For example, I don't understand why girl shirts have to cling to bodies while guy shirts can be loose. However, I can admit it easily: guy clothes make me look frumpy. Why? Because the shirt linings are farther spaced at the shoulders (because guys have broader shoulders) and the jeans/pants/shorts are made...um, for guy anatomy parts, so they are bunchy in weird places on me. I have dealt with this frumpiness because, even though I spend hours at the mall every year, I have yet to find female fashions that are comfortable. (Every year I hope for a change, and alas, the changes in fashion do not get more comfortable).

But now I am more frustrated than before. You see, I thought that maybe the internet would save me from my frustrations with fashion. I thought that maybe there would be some awesome tomboy fashion site, that simply took guy clothes and made them fit female body shapes better. But apparently, I am alone in this large world for desiring comfortable female clothes. If you don't believe me, simply google 'tomboy fashion' and here are a few things you will see:

Notice that the seven-lady picture shows women in skirts. Why would tomboys wear this? I cannot think of anything more uncomfortable than a skirt. I hate how paranoid I get about my skirt being stuck in my underwear, or my skirt getting ripped or my skirt flying up and showing off my underwear or me tripping and my skirt rising up and showing off my underwear, etc. Skirts are awful. This google image is a lie. This is NOT tomboy fashion! The next image is not better. The first lady is wear skin-tight jeans with crazy looking heels. NOT tomboy fashion! The middle lady is either wearing a short skirt or short shorts. This is not comfortable! This is NOT tomboy fashion! And look at those heels! The third lady is the closest to a tomboy, but her shirt is too lowcut and her pants are still too tight. How did she even get those pants over her feet?

Not only am I apparently the only person on the planet that wants comfortable, loose guy-like clothes made for a woman's body, but I also seem to be the only female who does not want to look like a slut on the beach. I hate female bathing suits so much. I have never worn one to the beach, not even as a teenager, without shorts and a t-shirt over it. I struggled for years trying to figure out how to have fun on the beach and still wear a bathing suit, since t-shirts and shorts get soaking wet and are uncomfortable in the water. Surely, I thought, SOMEONE has a website selling bathing-suit material modest clothes?! Alas, I found nothing. I found some sites for muslim or mormon women bathing suits. They are dresses for the water. Ugh. Why on earth would I want to wear a dress?!? I then thought that maybe surfer websites would have tomboy swimming suit ideas. Alas, I can get girl surfer shorts, that are super short and incredibly skin tight. Why would I want this?!? I found a temporary solution, but it still does not make me happy: I wear guy swimming trunks with a female exercise top (that dries quickly b/c it's suppose to be sweat proof). The female top is still too clingy and way too low cut, but it's the best I can find.

Why did I just write this entire, very long post/rant? Because I am begging the world to please start noticing tomboys. I am certain that I am not the only female that wants to be comfortable. But we will never know how many tomboys exist out there if we cannot join up and beg the fashion community for clothes. If anyone has been interested in making their own fashion business, well, I have good news. There is a HUGE gap in the tomboy fashions! You could start your own business in that field and have no competitors! Everyone, please tell everyone else you know to spread the word: I am a tomboy and I want clothes! Cloth me! I have money! I would be a great customer! You don't even have to be very creative if you don't want! Just simply copy guy fashions and make them adaptable for female bodies. It's so simple.

So please, help me. I want to be comfortable for once.

3 comments:

  1. If I knew my sewing skills were a little better I would take on this project for you. :-P We should go shopping sometime when you are in town - I am not a girly girl shopper either.

    ReplyDelete
  2. well.... hard to say... start your own idea book and find a seamstress who can help you.. and me and others. It is hard to look nice in work clothes with out being too girly. But I would love business looking clothes age appropriate and comfortable.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I found my self agreeing to every line.

    Well I'm a Muslim so when I go out I wear an abaya. It's supposed to be a loose, modest dress (Though now days some people are making tight dresses and calling them abayas). (yeah even though I'm a Tomboy I'm okay with them.)

    For in the house, I'm a top and pants person. Girls pants are ridiculous so I wear boys pants. I don't have a problem with them. For tops, I mostly get girls ones. There are some (emphasis on some) girls tops that are okay so I search for them but if I can't find any I get boys tops. The reason I don't go straight to boys tops is like you said boys builds are different to ours so their tops don't fit properly.

    I tell my brother about how hopeless girls clothes are all the time (Too bad he's 5 years younger than me. Otherwise I'd be stealing his clothes :P)

    *sigh* What's the world becoming. Can't even find modest & comfortable clothes for girls. :|


    - Teenage Tomboy.

    ReplyDelete