Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Biblical Equality

Okay, so I know I JUST posted this morning, but I am taking a procrastinating break from my work. Today, Paul and I eagerly opened the mail to find our two new books awaiting us! We are really excited to read them together.
The books:
**Ronald W. Pierce, Rebecca Merrill Groothuis, eds. Discovering Biblical Equality: Complementarity without Hierarchy
**David Blankenhorn, Don Browning, Mary Steward VanLeeuwen, eds. Does Christianity Teach Male Headship? The Equal-Regard Marriage and its Critics

The first book is a thorough academic book on the history, theology, etc. of the entire Christian faith and argues for equality in Christian marriages. However, they also encourage debate from their findings.
The second book is a debate book with both sides of the issue as well as non-Christian and Christian opinions.

We are excited to read these books together to expand our knowledge on our beliefs. After all, it is not good to believe something without personal knowledge! Paul and I began our relationship with the mutual understanding that our marriage was about equality. Since joining our small group, we have been constantly complimented on our marriage relationship, and have had many Christian friends ask us (out of curiousity, NOT anger) how our equality-stance marriage is founded on Christian beliefs. Many of them believe that the man needs to be the dominant partner and marvel at Paul and I because we don't believe this. Anyway, Paul and I researched some good books on this topic. We are going to read them to expand our understanding, and, if we enjoy the books and find them helpful, we are probably going to start a small group on this very topic. I think it would be wonderful to discuss/debate the pros/cons of both opinions. I would never want to force my beliefs on another person, but healthy knowledge would be essential for us all. So if anyone is reading this post and is curious about the books, let me know! I encourage everyone, single or married, male or female, to read on these topics to further understand the family/social life that God desires! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment