Friday, July 7, 2017

Day 13: Cris loves fairies, not ferries

Today was Aran Islands day! We stayed on the island overnight, too. Looking back, Paul and I agree that so far everything in Ireland has been awesome, but if there was anything we would take off the list, it would be going to the Aran Islands. It was the least interesting part of our entire vacation (so far). (Next off the list would be Ring of Kerry).
It started off with a ferry trip to the main island. I had high hopes that it would be a gentle trip, since it’s only the bay of the ocean and the ferry is quite big. Tragically, it was quite windy. Within minutes of leaving dock, the ferry was swaying something fierce. Since the ocean and I are not friends, I was frantically searching for my motion sickness pills in my purse. The good part is that the pill started working almost immediately, but the bad news is this non-drowsy motion sickness pill always makes me…super drowsy. I don’t even wanna know what a purposely drowsy motion sickness pill would do to me…
So we landed on one of the Aran Islands (Inishmore), thank goodness, but now I was wobbling around like a drunk sailor. I was super chill but also stumbling about in slow motion. I hate taking my motion sickness pills. So first thing we did is stop for coffee. In hindsight, mixing drowsy pills and coffee isn’t the smartest thing to do. After an hour of weirdness, I was finally normal and ready to go.
We hired bikes in the “town”, which is really just one small street of tourist attractions and one grocery store. Paul and I realized our mistake right away: Aran Islands is a tourist destination, and we HATE touristy things. Crowds and tacky souvenir shops galore, as well as guys standing next to tour buses or horse-drawn carriages and boldly begging you to take a ride with them. Yuck.
Also, the island was very obviously poverty stricken. Unlike the rest of Ireland, which is mainly clean and tidy places, this Aran Island was full of not as pleasant of homes, WAY less livestock, not much true Irish culture, and yeah, it was just sad.
For being an island almost completely based on tourism, it’s also not very tourist-friendly. We got bikes from a bike rental place, with no maps or helpful directions. The streets don’t have signs or directions toward the attractions, and there is pretty much no internet. So, we left on our bikes with only a basic knowledge of what to see on the island, from the info when we had reviewed the island online the day before.  

We rode our bikes on a road, and hoped it would bring us somewhere good. It was a beastly road, full of bumps and potholes and loose gravel. We watched a kid wipeout on his bike and get slightly injured, poor thing. It was also a lot of brutal ups and downs, which was not kind on my knees. My bike options had been: a bike too high for me or a bike too low for me. I chose the too low option since I could pedal, but that meant more strain on my knees, which have always been bad.

We finally found a cool fort, made thousands of years ago, so that was cool. Unfortunately, you had to pay with cash, and it was far from town. I imagine lots of tourists get all the way there and then get turned around super angry, since the only ATM on the island is next to the ferry. We had the money, but it was kinda expensive for seeing an average looking fort ruin. NOTE: while at the fort ruin, a bee attacked my cheek, and at the time, it seemed like I did NOT get stung. This is important info for Day 14.  
The whole island is made up of thousands of rock walls. Apparently, the islanders get really bored and just make walls all over the place. It was a weird island.  
We then rode our bikes to the seal colony, where there were no seals. Lame!

Then we went back to town for dinner and to crash at our airbnb, which was really just a bnb, so it was a small bedroom and bathroom and nothing else. We rode for 10 miles on bikes, up and down hills, so we were SUPER tired. We crashed early, since our ferry left at 8am the next day. 
Paul's Note:  My favorite part of the island was this super majestic horse rolling around on its back.

No comments:

Post a Comment