Friday, July 7, 2017

Day 12: Cris of Green (Mount) Gable(s)

We changed our plans for Day 12. The things we were GOING to do (Achill Island and Keem Beach) will both have to be done on a future trip to Ireland. Just another excuse to come back!
Instead, the local folk constantly insisted that we hike up “their hill”, which was Mount Gable. It’s an odd piece of landscape near Clonbur, where we were staying. There is Mount Gable, a nice sized mountain, and it’s just sticking out in a landscape of rolling hills. Clonbur is also between two lakes, and there are more mountains on the other sides of the lakes. All in all, Mount Gable is all alone and towers over the village of Clonbur.
Anywho, since the locals said that the views from the top of Mount Gable were incredible, we decided to do a bit of local hiking. We were kinda sick of driving. The descriptions in internet-land say that the hike to the top of Mount Gable is “an easy walk”. I brought my hiking boots on the short drive to the parking lot, but of course, I totally forgot to put them on. D’oh!
The “easy walk” was a zig zagging deep-rutted tractor road that steeply goes up the mountain. Of course, it’s also a mountain full of grazing sheep. Laugh. Even though it’s Day 12, and we’ve been hiking and walking TONS by now, I was having a very difficult time going up this steep path. I was gasping for my breath and seeing spots over and over. I was super embarrassed because I assumed that I was in bad shape somehow.
Paul kept encouraging me that “it’s just around this corner!” which were Lies! Lies! Lies! Finally, I was about to pass out, so Paul suggested he would go on ahead to see how much farther it was going to be. After a few minutes rest, I very slowly trudged up after him. He made it to the top and was waving at me, and the sight of the actual top gave me a boost of energy. Whew.

When I got to the top, I finally realized what the problem was: this mountain was WAY taller than we thought it was! I have always struggled with high altitudes, and I was seeing spots and gasping for breath because the air was a bit thinner. It was hard to notice on the way up, but at the top, WOW the views just went on and on forever. It was so incredibly beautiful. We stayed up for a long time, and then it looked like it was going to rain. It was weird to see the low rain clouds at the same level as us.
Going down was mainly easier, except that since I wasn’t wearing my hiking boots (oops), I slipped once and slightly sprained my ankle. Oh well.
After that awesome workout, we went back to our place to eat lunch and meet our airbnb host. He was kind enough to let us rent his fishing boat for one of the lakes. Paul was pretty excited about that. We went off on one of Ireland’s adorable looking fishing boats, with directions from our host on where to catch fish.
Of course, as we left shore, it started raining again. It was light sprinkles, and Paul optimistically said ‘it’s almost done raining!’ Lies! Laugh. It got worse and worse and soon it was a steady rain. I was fine for a while, because I had brought a towel and spare clothes to drape over me for shelter. But then they all got sopping wet, and then I got soaked, and then I started shivering and Paul drove me back to the car. He kept fishing, because he’s a more diligent ghillie (local term for fishing guide) than I will ever be.

Unfortunately for Poor Paul, he only caught one fish, and it wasn’t the pike or trout he was trying to catch. Sigh. All that cold and rain for nothing…We went back to warm up with a nice cuppa, tired after another busy adventure-filled day.  

No comments:

Post a Comment