Thursday, June 2, 2011

Why do I want to move to South Carolina?

People keep asking me why Paul and I want to move to South Carolina. So I thought I would make a long list of reasons. I am sure there are more, but this is a good start:

1) It's not crappy Wisconsin! We hate it here so much. I should make a list of 'why I hate Wisconsin' someday...

2) We love the idea that we can fish almost all year round, instead of up here in the north, where the lakes freeze over (we think ice fishing is lame)

3) Upstate South Carolina (where we want to live) has mountains for us to go on hikes! I can't wait to live minutes from excellent hiking conditions. (Here in Milwaukee, I can't even go for a walk around the block by myself because there are too many creepy people)

4) In Upstate SC, we can live on lakefront property for relatively cheap (and catch 50 pound striper bass every day!) AND we can fish on the ocean with relative ease (it's only 3.5 hours away)

5) Paul has always wanted to live somewhere without snow. I love snow, but it DOES result in less fishing. It was difficult for me to agree to move somewhere where I can't shovel snow, but fishing always wins. :)

6) Paul has family members living in the area, so we can actually live by family again! And my parents have always wanted to move to SC, so hopefully when we move down there, they won't be far behind. And my brother Jim and his fiance' are thinking about moving to the Carolinas someday, so we might live by them as well! I can't stand being alone in this awful state. I love family.

7) Our best friends (at least Kyle and Rick, still working on Kevin/Amanda...) are willing to move to SC with us due to the weather and fishing conditions. :)

8) There are teaching jobs available in the Carolinas! I would gladly move to Michigan if there were teaching jobs AND we could fish all year long. Sorry Michigan, SC has you beat.

9) There is a good herb community in the Carolinas! I have been obsessed with gardening and studying the cooking and medicinal potential of herbs, and there are many schools and clubs in the Carolinas that focus on herbs. I can't wait to learn more and get connected!

10) There are multiple 'active young people' clubs available to join in Upstate SC. We can join a casual hiking group, a canoeing group, etc.

11) There are not many fishing guides in Upstate SC, and Paul senses an opening there that he can possibly fill. He has always wanted to be a fishing guide...

Well, that's all I can think of right now. We are so excited to  live somewhere where we can be more active and social. I can't wait!

2 comments:

  1. As far as the shoveling goes - you can ALWAYS come shovel our driveway! We'll never turn you down!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! :) I get this offer a lot. :) I might just take you up on that once we move and I get jealous of your snow...

    ReplyDelete