Friday, May 20, 2011

I love going Home to Michigan!

A week ago, I had to opportunity to go Home again. There was a historical medieval conference in Kalamazoo, Michigan and I was done teaching for the semester. I went to the conference last year, and I had a blast. It is so great to learn more about medieval things AND know that I am not the only medieval nerd in the world! It is an international meeting, so there is an opportunity to hear plenty of languages and learn about different cultures and different ways to approach medieval research. Paul gave me permission to spend money on the conference and I came over on the train b/c I will never try to drive through Evil Chicago. There WAS a catch, however: Paul had to stay back in Milwaukee to work AND I was missing our five-year wedding anniversary.

This was the first time we were separated for more than one night since I left for Greece for a month in 2006 (before we were married). I was gone for five nights. Thus, it was wonderful going back to Michigan but it wasn't the same as normal because I was missing my other half...

Anyway, here was my week:
*Tuesday: Spent the whole day on a train. There was a terrible delay in Chicago, resulting in an hour delay where we all stood up for the whole time in a crowded line. Then, two more groups using the same platform had to squeeze in the same small room as us, so it was chaotic and claustrophobic. Ugh. I hate Chicago and I hate trains.
*Wednesday: I spent the ENTIRE day with my family. :) It was wonderful. My mom, Jim, Becky, and I watched my darling nephew Q-bear and niece Izzy for the whole day, and then Jon, Amanda, (and dad, of course) were there for dinner. It was such a lovely day...the only one missing was my Paul.
*Thursday: Various conference lectures from 10-5pm, followed by dinner with my mother-in-law, and sisters-in-laws Christy and Katie.
*Friday: Various conference lectures from 10-5pm, followed by dinner and constant talking with my best friend Julie. (from 6-10pm, we never stopped talking!) This was followed by a phone call to Paul because it was our anniversary.
*Saturday: Various conference lectures from 10-5pm, followed by dinner with the in-laws and a lame 80s movie. :)
*Sunday: Spent the whole day on a train. There was, fortunately, only a small delay, not as long as the first trip.

Overall, it was a great blend of scholarly learning and family time. It would have been perfect if Paul was with me. I don't think I can stay away from Paul for five nights again. After two nights, I started talking to myself. After three nights, I started randomly crying for no reason. That was weird. We shall see if I go next year. Like I said, I don't think that I can be apart from Paul for that long.

For now, I am doing household chores and applying to jobs both here and in South Carolina. Paul is finishing up his school year (he is done on June 15). Then, we go off to Michigan TOGETHER for a few days and then off on a fun fishing trip in South Carolina for a few weeks, and I am sure that I will have fun adventure stories to tell at that time. :)

Here are a few of my favorite pictures from my time at Home:

This picture shows my mom's adoration for her grandchildren as well as how my Q-bear can be quite the ham. Notice the "hat" that he gave his sister? Incredibly adorable.

 Now it's MY turn to get a picture taken with my nephew and niece. I love them so much. :)





 My darling niece Izzy is only three-ish months old, but she is so attentive and smart! Of course, she is also beautiful. :) Izzy loves trying to crawl (which she is WAY too young to be attempting), loves looking at her mobile on top of her swing, loves snuggling, loves trying to talk to you, and is overall a wonderful little baby. My mom had a lot of fun trying different outfits out on Izzy, which makes me curious to how this will turn out in the future. My mom never had the opportunity to dress me up, since I decided to be an independent spit-fire tomboy from a very early age. :)


My sweet nephew Q-bear, or, possibly with a new nickname of Curly-Q, due to his adorable mop of curls, is two and a half years old and is WAY too smart! He calmly gave directions to my mom on the drive to her house, and knows his left from his right. He enjoys trying (a bit unsuccessfully) to tell jokes as well as learning about things. "What's that, Aunt Cris" "Why is that brown, Aunt Cris" And many more questions about everything. He noticed that Uncle Paul was missing and asked if we could wait until he arrived before eating dinner. This picture is of Q-bear putting my glasses on and posing for the camera. What fun! We are hoping to take him fishing this summer.


After dinner, my dad had loads of fun with Quentin by chasing him around the yard with Q-bear's lawnmower toy. Quentin's giggles and screams of delight could be heard, I am sure, by the entire neighborhood. I sat on the porch with my mom and just watched and smiled. :)
My brother Jim has a fantastic fiance'. I approve. :)  They are leaving for Africa soon, so I won't see them this summer. :( But I wish them well, as they visit Becky's parents in Africa, work for her parents, and also have plenty of adventures such as safari-type trips. I can't believe my baby brother is so grown-up! And aren't they just adorable?!? :)

No comments:

Post a Comment